Monday, February 15, 2010

A Monday Morning cup of Joe with...Janine Beken from Petal Pushers!

Name: Janine Beken, owner and lead designer

Business Name:Nebraska Petal Pushers

Location: Southeast Lincoln

Service: Upscale wedding florist serving eastern Nebraska and Western Iowa

In business for: 2 years

How did you get started in the wedding industry? Did you always plan on someday helping couples achieve their “dream” wedding? I got started in the wedding industry when I made the move from southern CA to Lincoln... I had been a florist in CA and decided that weddings were what I wanted to do, so I went into business for myself here in NE. In CA I worked mostly with resorts, so weddings are a nice change from the hotels!

What is the one thing you would advise the couple to get a “jumpstart” on? I would advise a couple to get a jump start on hiring a good wedding florist of course! There are so many cheesy ones out there, so find the best one, not the cheap one... It's totally worth the little bit of extra money... and don't settle!

What personality traits do you possess that allow you to effectively interact with the couple on their wedding day? I think a personality trait that is beneficial for me is that I am pretty easygoing and I don't get panicked... It's much easier to work out any sort of a crisis (and there are plenty on the big day!) if you keep a level head.

Even though this day is stereotypically all about the bride, we know that’s not true! Do you have any advice for the groom and his groomsmen? Advice for the groom... Relax and enjoy the day! And don't steal her thunder or you'll be sorry you did :)

Have couples and their wedding priorities changed since you first started in this industry? If so, how? I have found priorities to be different from CA to NE... brides in CA will hand you a picture and say "it better look exactly like this! I don't care about cost!"... brides in NE are more open to suggestions, which makes it more fun for me because I can be creative and help them come up with their own unique wedding that didn't come from a magazine. It's way more fun!

Are there any changes for your business in the near future you would like to share? Changes for my business... I hope to step up my advertising. As of now 90% of my business is word-of-mouth... So I hope that may bring some positive change!

From your experience in working with brides and grooms, is there any piece of advice you would like to offer? Advice for brides and grooms... Cheap isn't best! You absolutely get what you pay for whether it's food, photogs, flowers, etc. Don't go cheap on everything because you want 700 people at your wedding. I think it's much better to scale down and get the best of the best of everything, you'll be so glad you did! You want people to remember your wedding as one that was special and unique, or else what's the point?

What would you put in your “Wedding Day Survival Kit”? Wedding day survival kit... Being a florist i need WIRE!! Lots of wire! and water tubes... But as a bride, I would need a Tide-to-go stick, safety pins, and SNACKS!!!

If you could describe your company as ANY item (piece of cake, unity candle, etc.) at the wedding, what would it be and why? I would describe my company as the bridal bouquet, of course! It's colorful, creative, unique, elegant...all those cool things that I'm all about!

What is one popular wedding song you never get tired of hearing at weddings? I love love love to hear (it's so cheesy but I love it) Mariah Carey- Music Box. That dang song has me in tears every time let me tell you! I don't think it's an especially popular song but it should be, its beautiful!

What is one common misconception about your profession that you usually have to educate your clients about? (Example: for photographers – the amount of time it takes to edit photos, for limo drivers – the amount of money it costs to fill up the tank in the LimoBus) The biggest misconception that I run into every time is that all flowers are available at all times, and all a florist has to do is order your flowers and make them! There are seasons, and peonies are not available in fall...sorry! "But I saw them in the fall issue of Martha Stewart weddings and I neeeeeed them!!!" Nope. Martha lied. It's a lot of disappointment on behalf of the bride because she has envisioned carrying peonies since she was 3. But It can also be a really cool opportunity for her to expand her horizons and open up to new ideas that she will most definitely like better.

Please provide a quick description of the services or products you offer and your contact information: Nebraska Petal Pushers is an upscale wedding and events florist located in SE Lincoln... I offer consultations by appointment only, and I'm available 7 days a week! 402.304.2000

No comments:

Post a Comment